Seriously, I thought, when I arrived, that my extended-rear-facing-car-seated child would be in the company of others. That my fire-exit-obsessed-self would delight in all the fire exits here in this safe, rule-conscious country. Um, no.
Today, I saw Emily (Fiona's pal from kindergarten, one of the children who is NOT teaching her swears in German and therefore, I approve of this child, unlike Niklas, of biting baby fame, who is teaching her unprintable words) riding to school in her parents' car. I am CONSTANTLY checking out car seats (German children are often in the FRONT SEAT and of course, rampant booster seat use in the three-year-old crowd, yikes!) and until today, I was pretty sure Emily rides in a reasonable car seat. Nah. Today Emily was riding IN THE FRONT SEAT, on her mother's LAP! LAP, my friends. Bopping up and down, waving gleefully to Fiona (setting a terrible example!) and looking like one heck of a projectile. When was the last time you saw that? The Reagan administration? About the time I was riding around in the back of my uncle's Jeep CJ fighting over who got to hold on to the poles (and therefore not risk bouncing out, friends, not because the other would have to buckled in, there weren't even SEATS in the back of that thing) with my cousins and brother. So my whole Fiona will-be-in-a-carseat-'til-eighth-grade thing is not going to go over all that well here, huh?
2 comments:
the last time for me was during Britney's downward spiral....
You still have her rear facing at 3 yrs old? I'm all for the recommended wait until they are 2 years but will probably turn them around after that so I can see them and they can see me. Love our Boulevards - very plush and am thinking I need a comfy seat like that for me in the passenger side.
Post a Comment