Thursday, June 11, 2009

End of the school year

Dear readers, I'm so sorry I have been remiss in writing. Please do forgive me! I have blogs coming up about our trips to Poland and Dresden, Obama's visit to Weimar, and Fiona's Somerfest at Kindergarten. Now that I've piqued your interest, sorry. I'm going to ask your opinions and beg for forgiveness about not writing. After all, it's report card time and the last week of school. Um, and packing to move, packing to head back to Boston for the summer, managing Russ's new schedule... I could go on, but instead... I need your help!

I want to give Fiona's teachers a gift - end of the year teacher gifts can range from artwork done by the child to elaborate jewelry. At Christmas, I gave them all a big basket of chocolates and cookies. I say all because although Heike is the one teacher, they all work together. Fiona loves them all and will miss them over the summer (not TOO much once she gets in the pool, lake, and beach, but enough) and they all love Fiona (as far as I can tell)! So I'd like to give one big gift for all, because to be honest, four big gifts are out of my price range. I'll include for each teacher a handwritten note (signed by Fiona) thanking her for her hard work and generosity this year, etc. But what I need is a GIFT idea. I wish Edible Arrangements delivered here, 'cause those are fun and delicious. OR that I'd been forward-thinking enough to round up Boston or USA items while at home over Easter break and could wrap those up now. I am toying with the idea of a flower arrangement.... but am not sure if that's too.... date-y?

I promise, in return for all your posts about great teacher gifts (and isn't it ironic?! In the US I could easily have given gifts I love to get- Target or Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts gift cards, teacher supplies, etc- but here, that stuff doesn't exist! And I don't know if teachers in kindergartens want that kind of stuff. What do 45-year-old DDR women want? I know that sounds like the punch line of a bad joke, but it's not) next week I will write reams of funny stories from the Baltic Sea and about Obamamania.

Please reply. Last day of school is NEXT FRIDAY!

2 comments:

H said...

I think you could do flowers- baked goods are always nice. What was your number? Do gift certificates exist? Could you get something to a local restaurant or coffee shop that they could all share, or is that lame? I honestly would take a nice card wtih a meaningful message from a child and/or the parents over the other stuff.

MommE said...

Food or flowers are both great ideas! There must be bakeries there- they could do a big cookie tray or something. That way they could "divvy it up." A nice picture from Fiona is also a great idea. I'm sure they'd love that. She is a great artist, after all.