Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The one where nobody can sleep

Picture this, dear readers. Sunday night after a long and exhausting vacation. Everyone a bit jet-lagged. All three of us settled into bed at reasonable times, sleeping soundly, until about 1 am. And then...

Midnight- Fiona's books fall out of bed and wake her up. She needs an adult to retrieve them. Said adult (Russ) gets out of bed, replaces books, and returns to bed.
1.00 am- Fiona needs a drink. And the bathroom.
1.15 am- Fiona decides she's up for the day. Claims it's "just early morning, not night. It's dark in early morning." Argument ensues about the actual time of day. We win, it's night time, she stays in bed. Awake.
1.30 am- Fiona insists on "reading" her books aloud, singing in German, and talking to us through her closed bedroom door. We choose to ignore this nonsense but still, not really sleeping over the stories she's "reading" us.
3.00 am- Fiona needs another drink. And another trip to the bathroom. I assume we've all dozed at some point in the intervening hours but it certainly doesn't feel like it.
3.15 am- Reading and singing repeated.
4 am- Singing and reading quieted, Russ and I unable to sleep and checking email on laptops in bed (I know, a terrible way to relax, but if you're wide awake...)
4.10 am- Russ dozes off.
4.15 am- Strange beeping coming from outside our room. I'm convinced it's the carbon monoxide detector in Fiona's room. I wake Russ (he just fell asleep, anyway!) and he heads off to investigate.
4.20 am- Furniture moving in living room. I've got my head under the pillow to ignore the noises and hope the downstairs neighbors are deeper sleepers than we are tonight. And that Fiona doesn't wake up again.
4.30 am- Battery is removed from smoke alarm (our ceilings are so high that Russ had to move the small bookcases and stand on one, hence the furniture moving) and I've been reassured that it will be replaced tomorrow and that we have other smoke alarms and THIS should not keep me awake.
4.45 am- I think we're finally all asleep for the evening.
5.30 am- Russ's alarm goes off for the morning.

Thankfully, last night was much better- we all managed to sleep through the night, smoke alarm has new battery, and we're back on track. Now, just two more months of this kind of sleep before we add an infant to the mix...

2 comments:

Mommy, Esq. said...

It is much harder to travel east - I'm convinced of it. I never have any problem going West. Think of it though - this will be your LAST jet lag! Whoo!

H said...

Ugh- Monday night I had the same thing when you think you are awake the whole night (well it sure feels like it) and you keep checking the clock every hour, but you probably dozed off at some point....the worst- and I can't even imagine an obstinant child insisting they want to sing in the other room...oh how I love my noise machine