Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pig Fever

That's right, dear readers, Pig Fever has hit our school. I know it's not called that, but Russ persists in the hope that it will catch on. It's not catching on, but it's definitely contagious.

In true cautious German tradition, since we now have one confirmed case of H1N1 in our school, and about 20 other sick children (but not everyone's being tested. Apparently tests are hard to come by and expensive?) the three pregnant ladies at school have received notes from doctors to stay at home for at least a week. We'll let the initial wave die down and then we'll see what happens. The school nurse and my doctor have both advised me that it should be one week minimum and we've agreed to look at things again next Thursday. We have a professional day next Friday, so I'll be in school for that- not a lot of adults coughing and sneezing on top of me, I hope.

So I'm planning away, lessons for subs, shifting things to December when I'll be back (hopefully-ish) and cleaning, Christmas shopping, and meeting up with the other pregnant ladies. Fiona is still at her kindergarten because, thus far, they're Swine-Free. Once it hits them, though, Fiona will stay at home with me (can't have her getting sick, and certainly can't have her bringing home germs to me and Butterfly) which will definitely put a halt to my paid-excused-but-not-sick time off gallop.

Russ is secretly hoping to come down with a case of Pig Fever and believes that should that happen, he, his laptop, and a case of beer should go stay at a hotel (with satellite TV) so as not to infect our household. In all my newfound free time, I'm obsessively opening windows to let germs out, washing sheets and towels waaay more often than normal, and buying soap, because with all the frequent (obsessive) handwashing going on here, soap is running out more quickly than milk and bread.

Enjoy your Thursday, dear readers. I'm off to lunch with the healthy pregnant women!

No comments: