Yes, indeed, friends. The Marinos are now the victims of the biggest crime in Weimar. Twice.
About three weeks ago, Russ's bicycle was stolen from our school parking lot. Now, if you've been with us for a whole time, you'll recall that when we got the bike and the bike seat, I insisted on a brand new high end very safe child seat for the back of it. What safety conscious (obsessed) mother wouldn't? So not only was Russ's bike (his only means of transportation other than his own two feet!) stolen, but the expensive Kindersitz on the back was taken also! We're frustrated and annoyed but can see why- said bicycle was left at school, overnight, and Russ is "pretty sure" (read, certain, but embarrassed about it) that he didn't lock it.
Since I'm not riding my bike these days (although German doctors actually encourage such things, I'm not comfortable with it, psychologically or physically), Russ has been taking my bike. My bike isn't as nice as his, and doesn't have a seat for Fiona, so he's only able to get himself to and fro. It worked fine- I'd love to say I'd post an image of Herr Direktor in his European-style (slim-fit!) suit riding a bike made for a twelve year old girl, but sadly, I have no pictures- until my bike got a flat tire. Russ locked it up (he's learned his lesson!) in front of our house and left it there for about five days. There is very little time between Direktoring and Thanskgiving-feasting to fix a tire.
Lo and behold, Sunday morning, the bike lock was SMASHED, yet still attached to the bike rack, and the bike (complete with flat tire) was missing. Gone. Vanished. I'm not too sad to see it gone, because it wasn't a great bike, but we are both beyond annoyed that we now must purchase another bike for Russ (and let's face it, probably a seat for Fiona, because it will be very helpful to me in the spring for him to be able to bring her to and from school, but I think this time I may be willing to go for a lower-end model). And apparently some kind of foolproof lock! And we'll have to park the bike in the back of the house which means pushing it through a few gates and up some stairs every day. Much more work for poor Direktor.
Being the safe and quaint, historical city that it is, Weimar's biggest crime- most police reports- is actually bike theft. I used to think that was urban legend. I figured it was really something less attractive, like parking tickets, or speeding tickets, or domestic violence. Now I'm a believer. And a victim. Twice.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
:( also a big crime in Coppenhagen, and Amsterdam, and the Phillips Academy Campus (makes the Andover Police log)
not again!!!
The most useful and reliable mode of transportation is usually the highest theft (e.g., Honda Accords). I hope you are finally feeling better!
Post a Comment