Monday, February 15, 2010

Goodbye Nap

It's official. Fiona's nap, one of my favorite times of the weekend, is gone.

Now, it's not completely vanished. She still naps at school (they all nap there. Even the six year olds. Which seems a little much to me, and I'm a big fan of sleeping kids). We've been phasing it out at home because it's clear that she doesn't really need it by having Fiona take some "rest time" in her room (books, playing quietly, whatever) for about an hour during the weekend days. And we've noticed that on the days that we're really active in the mornings (think swimming, sledding, all sorts of activities I'm not really up for right now) she might actually doze off. So there is still hope that, should we get up and out early, swim all morning, and get home at a reasonable time, she might actually sleep a bit. But this weekend we didn't- we were doing other things- and we just skipped "rest time" altogether. Fiona even commented on it: "Mummy, I don't have to have a nap or a rest at all today? Good day for me!"

The reason I know that it's officially gone, and am finally willing to accept it, is that her bedtime this weekend has been outrageously easy. No requests for drinks, no trips to the bathroom, no reading-in-bed-'til-ten. Nada. Kiss goodnight, close the door, and not a word from Fiona's room. For twelve hours. I told Russ today that I think, although I'll miss the nap, it's worth it.

Now I have two weeks to enjoy the peaceful bedtime before I add another person to the schedule. A person who will not ask for books and the bathroom, but I'm willing to bet will request drinks all night long.

2 comments:

Mommy, Esq. said...

When we dropped the AM nap the kids were sleeping later in the morning (closer to 13 hours) but that went away. Enjoy it now! I've been thinking of you and your looming C-Date!

H said...

Butterfly will want books too:)
Thinking of you xoxo