Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ruckbuildingsgymnastic Kurs

It is a long and typically German word, but you read it right. It means, essentially, "rebuilding gymnastic class" and I attended my first one today. Germany does a lot of things well, and maternity is one of them. I had my childbirth class and now, eight weeks (!) later, I met in the same room, with most of the same ladies, plus babies now, and we started to rebuild our muscles. It's like an aerobics class - heavy on the core exercises, of course- combined with a mums group. It's run by my midwife, the same one who taught the childbirth class and who also came to my house frequently following Maeve's birth. The course goes for six weeks (but I'll only manage four, then I'm off to the land of weak-cored folks, but also friends and family!) and is completely free. Well, as everything here- free to me now. But I have paid a good deal of taxes for it.

So today, we all pumped our arms and twisted our waists to Spice Girls and Atomic Kitten, while our babies lay on fuzzy blankets and watched in awe (shock and awe, more like). Maeve was delightful and smiley, I was able to follow the instructions (always nervewracking, don't you think, with a new aerobics instructor, especially one in German!) and my core is nicely on its way to being rebuilt. All in all, a great success.

No comments: