The Second Breakfast is a German meal. It's typically a small sandwich (called a "bread") and some cookies, fruit, and a drink. Or a hardboiled egg. Or a granola bar. It's a very flexible meal.
Today, in talking about what to pack for lunch for her first day of school, Fiona asked what she'd have for breakfast. And when I told her she would have just the one breakfast at home, and a snack at school, she was appalled. "But... how many times can I eat?" she asked me. I had to break the news to her that here, in her new school, she'll only eat snack and lunch. And that she will wear her shoes inside the classroom. And that she should keep her clothes on at ALL TIMES. "But... why?" asked Fiona.
Um. Because "That's how America is" didn't seem to be a great answer... but it's all I have.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I share Fiona's pain. when trying to eat well, I feel like I'm eating all the time. It's working out well so far- first breakfast at home, snack of fruit, second breakfast at lunch, traditional lunch at more like 3.
Post a Comment