Saturday, September 11, 2010

The thing I miss the most

The thing I miss the most, and I miss it every day, is
Kindergarten Thedor Billroth. Which is
funny
because it's the thing that gave me the most
angst
before leaving for Germany. I worried that it would be
unsafe, unfriendly, and unpleasant.
I worried endlessly
that Fiona would feel abandoned.
I worried needlessly.
Now, on the last weekend before she begins her American preschool,
I worry endlessly
that she will forget all that she learned in Germany. Language. Physical skills. How to be the
Mayor of the Kindergarten.
That she will continue to miss her old friends and lack the language skills to Skype with them anymore.

But


I'm trying to remember that I, too, learned a lot at
Kindergarten Thedor Billroth.
I've learned, from the experience with her fantastic
Kindergarten in Weimar, that
I'm worrying needlessly.
Fiona, I am certain, is going to thrive in her new school. And then we can worry, next year, about
the American kindergarten.

No comments: