Saturday, September 6, 2008

When in Rome


It's not Rome, it's Weimar, Germany. But still. Against some of my better judgement, we have purchased used bikes, a brand new helmet for Fiona, and a brand new bike seat (made by Romer, the German name for Britax, for those of you car seat gurus like me). I'm terrified. 

The bike seat is something we see everywhere and many parents have it mounted in the front (!) or don't have a helmet on the kid. I find that almost as frightening as a loose car seat. I insisted, when Russ first brought this up, that I was uncomfortable with the idea because it feels inherently unsafe. But we (I) did some research and it seems ok. So we compromised- I am willing to give it a try as long as we have a highly-rated bike seat that is installed properly, and that we have a highly rated helmet for Fiona. So we had our bike seat installed by the folks at the bike shop, and we had Fiona fitted for a helmet. And off we went!

Russ loves our new ability to cycle together. He loves having Fiona riding behind him and he loves the speed at which we can get places now- much faster than on foot pushing a stroller. But I'm a nervous bike-rider at the best of times, so now I ride behind Russ and Fiona calling warnings about upcoming curves, cars, and cobblestones. Russ finds that insane but I think he's willing to put up with it, until I get used to this biking thing. 

So reassure me, please, that this is ok and I'll get used to it and I'll be thrilled that I can get places so much faster.  And also, please reassure me that my, ahem, behind, won't hurt so much after a few weeks of bike-riding!

3 comments:

H said...

You guys will be fabulous! I don't know where I saw a picture recently, but I saw a front mounted bike seat, I was shocket to say the least. But as long as she's hooked in and helmeted it up she should be great.

You on the other hand....

Mommy, Esq. said...

You should ask Liz about it - I bet in Sweden everyone cylces with their kids.

I read your blog and try to imagine me with my twins in Germany and I shudder. Of course I would probably never leave the house.

Maria said...

Oh boy... I feel for you Monica... I felt this way in Sanibel Island - as we rode through these narrow bike paths... with Adam's little head/big helmet-bobbing all over... (he fell asleep...)
well, I think the bike thing is great... good exercise too!!! have fun... keep on rollin'- just stay balanced... i know this can be hard.....LOL