Monday, November 24, 2008

Christmas Markets

Oh, Dear Readers, we're only one day in. And already I am hooked. Be prepared for many posts about the Christmas Markets all over Germany!

Today I had a reasonable day at school, considering that it was a field trip and I had to feed 30 third graders McDonalds- and it was snowing! All day! And my true winter gear is in Haverhill. Then I had to bike Fiona home in the aforementioned bike seat, wearing flat leather shoes (slippery at best, disastrous in a snowstorm), and she cried the ENTIRE time- gloves on, gloves off, too cold, hat in eyes, needs Papa, etc. But then we got home, snow-suited, and despite whining on both of our parts, we ended up at the Christmas Market. 

What a way to end a rotten afternoon! Gluwein, the Matterhorn, a Snow White Ride for Fiona, fried dough, fried Quark balls (quark is sort of like cottage cheese. Are they healthy? They must be) and more cherry flavored Gluwein! All in lovely picturesque snow, all around the fake village in the real village setting. And it happens EVERY DAY! From now until CHRISTMAS! Seriously! When biking home in the snow with 30 lbs of whinging on my back, I thought I must be insane. But now, it's all worth it! We've only scratched the tip of the iceberg- there are plans to hit at least TWO other towns' Christmas Markets this weekend, and did I mention that they are open EVERY DAY! This really puts Peddler's Daughter to shame. 

2 comments:

H said...

Fiona is calling Russ, Papa now?

tinkerbabs said...

Did you really use the Pa Hanley word "whingeing" or was that whining? Love the blog - how you find the time I can't imagine!
Of course I have to say be CAREFUL on the bike!