It appears that Christmas is celebrated in Germany for the entire month of December. It's Advent now. Everywhere I turn, I see advent wreaths, advent calendars (those drugstore cardboard ones, but also the big cloth ones that hang on the wall, and a uniquely German kind with some burlap bags strung together with ribbon). People talk about Advent as if it is another month of the year. "What are you doing the second weekend of Advent?" and "It's Advent already! I can't believe it! It was just August!"
In Germany stores are not open on Sundays. Four times a year, they can apply for a special holiday shopping permit and then the shops will be open on the Sunday. Of course one of those Sundays here in Weimar was last weekend- first Sunday of Advent (in order to truly appreciate it, I went to the grocery store). But during Advent, the mall buliding is open (the stores aren't) to allow Der Weihnachtsmann (Father Christmas) to visit the children. Needless to say, the Christmas Markets are open and in full swing on a Sunday.
So. One present each day from the advent calendar (usually candy) and also many many Christmas parties. And the Christmas Markets full of candied nuts, fried dough, and those 'healthy' Quark balls. Got that so far? Feeling full yet?
I was informed yesterday that today is St. Nikolaus's day! It's another holiday here in Germany and the children put their shoes outside before bed (they must be clean shoes) and Nikolaus will fill them with small treats- typically an orange, some candy, and maybe a very small toy. Nikolaus came to all of my third graders at school and I presume he'll visit them at home, he came to Fiona at school (she was delighted!) , and he'll come again tonight to our house! More candy! This for Fiona, who knows that candy is for grownups.
I actually Googled Nikolaus because I'm bewildered about the difference between St. Nikolaus and the Weihnachtsmann. Everyone at school seems to think I should just know that they're two different people! Here's what I came up with. Very helpful.
http://german.about.com/library/blnikolaus2.htm
Let's recap. Advent calendars full of candy and treats, December 6 a shoe full of sweets and small toys, Christmas Markets, the traditional Christmas stocking, Christmas presents from Santa and family, and then January 6 (which is Fiona's birthday and also the Feast of the Epiphany).
Between the Advent Season of Candy, the Zuckertuten (first day of first grade) and Easter (I can't imagine Lent being similar to Advent with the candy, but maybe it's the month AFTER Easter?), it amazes me that Germans are thin and healthy. I am starting to see, though, why their teeth are 'nicht so gut.'
3 comments:
Dec. 6th. Advent Dec. 24th JAn.6th in Germany very confusing. Evan after the web site visit.
Good luck
During my idyllic childhood, Big Helen would let me celebrate St. Nicholas Day and forced me to celebrate St. Lucia Day, as I"m sure you're aware. We actually had Dutch wooden shoes that I could put out and would be filled. I guess I thought these two saint days were closer, because St. Lucia is next week I think- 12th or 13th
Yikes! I remember Danny's second xmas one of Ruth's sisters bringing him a big chocolate lollipop, which was his first sidestep down that road! He had never had candy and ate it like a starving hobo. BTW he does not have any kind of sweet tooth now.Love the blog!
Post a Comment