There's chocolate Gluhwein (I plan to try that tomorrow), cherry (lecker! Which means 'yummy' in German. But sounds sort of sketchy when you say it aloud) and all sorts of other berry. It's always served at little huts outside and there are many fire pits- sometimes big grills, sometimes barrels full of fire, sometimes some kind of triangular home for the flames. It's a bit weird, when I think of it, to stand, huddled like a homeless person, around flame, drinking. But this is such a popular activity during Advent!
I'm afraid that when Advent is over, Gluhwein is no longer served. Ja, we can get it in restaurants through March, but it's not quite the same. We've been hitting those little huts and stands for a month now, and it's a really great part of the day! Feeling sick? Get a Gluhwein and it'll clear out that nose! Had a long and tiring day? Visit the Gluhweinhutte. Child in your bike seat whinging, students out of control? Bring 'em all to the Gluhwein stand near the amusement rides! Hosting a party for 60 toddlers and need something to entertain the adults? Serve Gluwein and give the children some sticks to play with!
I thought of bringing home some bottles (we head for Boston on Saturday morning!) but I fear that a. they won't travel well (they're in a TetraPak, which is like a giant juice box) and b. it just won't translate. I know people would like it. I know I'd like to serve it. But is sitting in a house in the Merrimack Valley, with a nice matching set of Pottery Barn mugs full of stove-cooked Gluhwein the same as standing outside, dodging the sparks from the triangular house of fire, listening to German Christmas songs mixed with odd 80's music, drinking hot cherry Gluhwein? As the Germans like to say, "Neee." It's sort of like "Naah." I guess Gluhwein is forever lost in translation.
1 comment:
Will get some in February, hopefully
Post a Comment