I am afraid that all the exposure to Dinglish is hindering my ability to learn proper German, while really impacting my English. Here are a few examples of German-invaded English.
1. Germans have a peculiar thing about being sick. Or ill (we work with a few Brits who make an extreme distinction between sick (vomiting) and ill (unwell)). When one goes to the doctor in Germany, one gets a note which is an excuse from work for a set amount of time. Sick person is NOT ALLOWED to return to the workplace within that time frame (or will risk being sued etc if something happens when at work but not supposed to be there). It's a sick (ill) time of year now and everyone is absent. This is a typical conversation with a German.
"Sharon is absent today. She's sick."
"Oh, no! Until when?"
I always want to answer "until she is better!" but I have now realized that that will not get me anywhere. So I've started it now! "Fiona is sick until Friday." See- German structures creeping into my vocabulary.
2. Obsessive, generalized use of the word "by." In German, the preposition "bi" means "at." My students are always telling me they were "by my grandmother's house" or "by the doctor" (sick until when?!) and "by football practice." I've learned to accept it, and in fact have caught myself saying "We live by the Sparkasse" (which is true, we live above it, meaning we live near it, so I can still justify. Barely.) or "The paper is by the stapler" (which it is, but more often I would say 'near' instead of 'by', but now the preposition of choice is always by.
3. Use of the word "ja" constantly. It's a reassurance that you understood the person ("ja, ja, not a problem") or a seeking of that reassurance ("we live by the Sparkasse, ja?"). I am not sure if it's from not knowing the language and wanting to make sure I'm understood, but I noticed it the other day when I was speaking English to an English speaker! "Ja, we come home on December 20. Ja, it will be great." Watch me closely for this pattern and beat it out of me. Or mock it.
I'm sure there will be more. I am sure you'll all identify them when we come home in a few weeks (ja, 3 weeks!) and you'll be delighted. We will be staying by my parents' house in Haverhill, ja?
1 comment:
really 2.5 weeks JA!
Post a Comment