Ah, the Christmas. The airplane travel into a snowstorm, the jam-packed schedule of visits, the silly expat questions ("So everyone speaks English, right?") and Santa. It was a fantastic, exhausting, and delightful holiday. I desperately need an Irish Women's Christmas (which I won't get here in Germany!) to recover.
It was a bit strange to be back in the US- our first visit to the mall nearly put me in a home. We were like an Amish family dropped in the South Shore Mall on December 23- dazzled and dazed at the lights, sounds, very loud and large people. But we rallied and after that first trip, I did delight in shopping in Target (hooray!) and Gap. There are no Gaps in Germany. I can't imagine why. Don't their pants fit everyone?
But the exciting news- just before we left, we purchased a car! We're happy about the mobility it will afford us and I'm thrilled with the idea that perhaps I can avoid the backpack-full-of-heavy-items-plus-Fiona-on-the-bike-seat phenomenon. We will pick up said car on Tuesday (Fiona's birthday!) or Wednesday. As this is Germany, we have to get some paperwork in order first. Like about seventeen items. And all of the offices where I can get said papers are open on Thursdays from 11-2. You know how it is.
The reason we're so delighted is that we bought the car in 100% German! Well, and sign language. And gestures. But yes- the car man spoke no English, but we think we got a good deal and we also got snow tires thrown in! I am so proud of us for having a German vocabulary for car-purchasing. Granted, the term 'car insurance' was a little hairy but a hand gesture of cars crashing seemed to get that point across. It's a little red (red cars are less expensive than any other color car in Germany. Go figure.) Toyota Yaris. I will keep you posted on the adventures that I am certain will ensue when we try to collect this vehicle.
Excuse the rambling, dear readers. I am exhausted. We flew at 4.30 Saturday afternoon from Boston, Fiona did not sleep on the plane (but she was quite good, due to our no-rules airplane policy- watch all the TV you can! Drink that juice! Eat M and M's to your heart's content) until the last 30 minutes. Then we arrived, collected our car and stuffed all the bags in (the kindly man at the rental car agency gave us a free upgrade. Good thing. We had again six or so huge bags full of Christmas gifts, clean clothes fresh from the dryer, and books written in English). Alas, all went well until we got on the road and realized a few things. A. It was a pretty heavy snowstorm. B. Russ didn't have the password for his iPhone which meant no directions and C. We had no printed directions. A few wrong turns and false starts later, we got on the road. But it was a painfully long journey due to the snow. When overnight-flight exhausted, who wants to crawl along in a snowstorm? Luckily we had those winter tires. We finally made it back to Weimar and Fiona said "We came back!" when we opened the door. Back indeed. Ready for 2009 in Weimar!
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment