As a child, we went to Disney World when it was just the Magic Kingdom and Epcot (Epcot had just opened, it had three rides and the big ball). Part of the magic of Disney was that a child could run into Mickey, Minnie, or Donald anywhere in the park at any time! It was exciting to turn a corner and -boom!- there was Mickey, larger than life.
I've gone to Disney quite a bit as an adult (thanks to the dear inlaws and their Disney Points!) and it's all changed now. The characters appear at scheduled times, behind velvet ropes, and accompanied by handlers (complete with walkie-talkies, headsets, and clipboards). It's a disappointing sign of the times.
But in Paris, in the hotels at least, it's back to the old ways. Mickey appeared in our hotel several times- unscheduled, but with a handler (just one! And she didn't have any secret service paraphernalia with her) a few feet behind. It was delightful- Fiona ran into Mickey and experienced true Disney magic.
At one point, Mickey came to Fiona in the kiddie play area and sat down to play a bead game with her. Exciting for her, for us, and of course for Mickey. He's dressed as a Park Ranger because we stayed at the Sequoia Lodge.
If you're looking to be surprised by characters, skip Orlando, and head to Disneyland Paris. I'll meet you there- it's a quick train ride for me and I'm dying to go again. I could probably convince Fiona to join me.
No comments:
Post a Comment