Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Sauna

I tried it. I did! I tried the sauna. And it's much as I expected. Naked.

Yep. You enter a little changing room (locker room but no sinks or showers, oh no, those are reserved for the common areas) and put on your robe or towel. Then you head into a room like a hotel lobby- easy listening music (which in Europe is typically 80s music you forgot existed. When was the last time you heard "Nothing Compares To You" followed by "I Want My MTV" and then "Red Red Wine"?), roaring fireplace, comfortable chairs, tables with water and newspaper. And yet, not quite like a hotel lobby- as everyone is entering and exiting the sauna doors, the cold pool in the middle of the room (I dipped a toe in, thinking it might be a hot tub, and said "Cold!" and was relieved to find that everyone else was still in the sauna rooms), using the tanning bed, sitting in the chairs. Those sitting in the chairs are typically wearing a towel. The rest... naked. Naked and wandering about the room.

Now, I said I tried it. I lied, a bit. I dressed in just my towel, brought a book, and camped out in the chairs watching the people around. I wanted to learn the protocol! I figured I should be informed. It's actually pretty relaxing to sit and read in a silent room, except that I kept trying to stare-without-staring at the naked folks climbing in and out of the cold pool, etc. I hear that at some there are hot tubs, which would be more my speed, but we'll see. I would have to gain a lot of courage to take off the towel.

I think, overall, it's a nice and restful experience. If you are ok with being naked. The WORST part was when the Brandon-Walsh-lookalike in khaki shorts and a polo came upstairs to sort out the fireplace, and he was dressed, and no one else was- well, I was wearing my towel, and believe you me, I was not taking it off- how uncomfortable! I was clearly the only one who thought anything of it, though, as I peered over my book in disbelief. Everyone else wandered about showering (in the open room) and going about their nude business.

Weird? For Americans, definitely. Relaxing? If you're comfortable with it! But my advice- definitely go when you're on vacation. This is not the place to run into parents of students, former colleagues, or your boss.